Brian S.

My name is Brian S. and this is my story:


     I was just another cog in the machine, working a low level government job when the outbreak started. My son was grown and gone, and my wife and I were the only two left at home. When the government went to the green zone I found out just how unnecessary of a cog I was.

     My wife had a variety of medical problems, but she was fine as long as she took her meds.  Unfortunately getting them became a bit of a problem after things started to go to hell.  One morning she just didn’t wake up. Unfortunately about two that afternoon she started moving around. 

     I figure if you’re reading this, you’ve either dealt with the situation or you were lucky enough to have someone else do it for you, so I won’t go into details.  Needless to say I lived. 

     I grew up in Michigan and had never quite lost the habit of stocking up incase you got snowed in, so I had about a month worth of food in the house now that it was just me.  I had a bit of excess weight to lose as well, so I figured I could last about 6 or seven weeks before I would be forced to move on.  I spent the first month building up some muscle and raiding abandoned homes for some extra supplies.  I was on the edge of town so there were not a lot of zeds, but I began to realize that each time I left I was taking the chance of being seen and followed back. My house had steel doors and would handle 1 or 2 zeds showing up but I didn’t think it would stand up to a concentrated mob of them.  Worse the garage was detached so when the time did come to bug out I might have to make it to my jeep through a bunch of zeds.

     There was a building not too far away that I thought might be more defensible. It was an old mechanics garage that someone converted into a bar.   Cinderblock walls, no windows, flat roof, and only three doors. One of which was a garage door.

     I scouted it out the next day.  All the doors were locked so I used a home made grappling hook to climb onto the roof.

     The place turned out to have a roof access panel so I was able to get in without having to cause any damage, or zed attracting noise.  I checked out the place real quick and found that someone else must have had the same idea.  I found two bedrolls and a small stack of supplies.  I left a note for the occupants to leave a blue flag hanging from the building across the street if they wanted additional company and a red one if I should just stay away.  I came back a week later and didn’t find either. 

     I got in again and found all just as I had left it from my last visit, including my note.  I guess the other two must have gotten cornered somewhere and never made it back.

     I managed to load up my jeep with the few remaining supplies I had and got it all over to my new digs without incident.  I had found a way to open the garage door so I could park my jeep inside.

     Kokomo hadn’t been a big city (Pop 45k or so) but it wasn’t a small town either.   I didn’t know how long before the zeds would stumble across me, so I spent some time building up my defenses, and searching out other survivors to try and get a group together.  At some point I managed to scavenge a radio, some batteries, and a couple of solar panels.  I guess those high school electronics classes were going to pay off after all.

I started leaving messages when I went out savaging, on ways people could try and contact me, but didn’t get any reaction. 

     Finally one night I got a hold of a couple of people on the radio who were holed up in the Chrysler plant on the south side of town.  There were only 2 survivors, and were running out of supplies.  The zeds knew they were in there and had surrounded the plant.  I guess I knew why I was getting off light on my end of town.  We were trying to work out a way to get them out when I heard a couple of shots and then silence.

     I tried a couple of more times to reach them but, I had to assume the zeds had gotten to them after a couple of days. 

     I had found no other signs of survivors in Kokomo, and with the other house gone I could only assume the zeds would start wandering around again until they found me. 

     I started collecting gas as well as ammo and food.  I also found a welder, and started adding some defenses to the jeep.   I spent each night on the radio trying to find a better place to go.

     I made contact with a few other survivor groups, but either they were too small (only 4 or 5) an I figured they would end up like the Chrysler people, or way too big (45 to 100) and you had to prove you were bringing something to the group worth them letting you join.  If I left this safe house, I wanted to make sure I would be ok as I could at the new place before I abandoned everything.

     Then one night as I was about to give up trying, and just see how long I could hold out I got a call from a guy calling himself Deadly Sins.  He was part of a group that had taken over the FEMA Region 6 HQ in Denton,TX.  There were 17 other survivors there, and they had a good mix of medics, scavengers, and shooters.  More importantly they had the can do attitude that can mean the difference between living and… well I guess dying isn’t what it use to be so Not Living?

     I had stocked up a decent amount of supplies, and so I let out the next day.  I had watched enough survivor/dooms day shows back in the whole 2012 Mayan Calendar days, to know to stay off the major roads, and even drive around some of the small towns.

     I’d also watched enough bond and death rally flicks to have rigged the jeep with a few surprises for the raiding/ambush parties I couldn’t avoid.  I made it all the way to Krugerville (no I’m serious, look it up if you don’t believe me.) before the damage the jeep took in the last shootout got to be too much for it.  I had to make the last leg of the trip by foot.  I finally managed to get there. 

     I found I’ve made a good choice.  It a great bunch of people who are happy to help develop the skills you’ll need to survive, give you some encouragement when you need it, and always willing to watch your back. Sometimes when we’re just sitting around at night jawing, you almost for get about what’s going on the other side of the perimeter wall.

    Got to go now, we have a strict no zed policy, and a small hoard has come knocking at the door.

  1. mydrivec says:

    Nicely done!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s